Embedded Systems will soon launch a product line consisting on CAN-bus based LogicMachine as well as CAN stand-alone extensions.
Some of CAN advantages:
- Decentralized system, same as KNX
- It can work as peer-to-peer and as master-slave. Simultaneously
- 1:1 mapping to KNX
- Bandwidth depends on the distance, up to 100 kB/s (>10 more than KNX)
- Installation wiring up to 5 km, bandwidth 9600
- You can discover CAN devices easily (hardware id, software id)
- Peer-to-peer and KNX addressing possible
- All regular KNX data types supported internally
- There is no polling as in ModBus, everything happens real-time
- Self-learning with auto addressing
- Solution can be used in any topology (except loop)
- Full diagnostics with error counter for each device; wathdogs built-in
- Secure communication between devices, possibility to disable direct telegrams (only group communication works)
- Based on CAN FT (Fault-Tolerant) which is international standard ISO 11898-3:2006
- CAN based stand-alone products will be visible in all supported technology networks – KNX, BacNet, Modbus, EnOcean, DALI etc.
- CAN is harsh-environment proven technology, operating in industries like space, automotive, aerospace, railway etc.
Please see this presentation for more deeper information of CAN integration into LogicMachine.